Thursday, September 01, 2005

After Katrina

The disaster on the Gulf Coast continues to defy almost all comment. To our prayers and to our checkbooks; there doesn't seem to be much else to do.

I've heard (through channels) from my Cook relatives in Hattiesburg, MS; all are well and holding on, despite the lack of water, power, or phone.

No doubt many of my readers have friends or relatives in New Orleans and vicinity. Information about Tulane University can be found here; the latest post says that there are no known casualties among staff, faculty, or students. Further information can be found at the SBL website. Our special thoughts and prayers go out to Chris Brady, blogger and Tulane faculty member, and longtime friend of "Ralph." Chris and his family are safe.

The least important casualty of Katrina is my "Psalms Targum in English" (link at right), which is hosted on the Tulane server. No doubt it will re-appear in due course, but it's of little consequence.

"Behold, God is great, and we know him not" (Job 36:26).

UPDATE (9/2): Chris has left a comment below; good to hear from you, CB.

Evan's narrative of evacuation here is must reading.

2 comments:

Targuman said...

Ed - thank you for your thoughts and prayers! Mississippians have been so gracious even in the midst of their own suffering. We weathered the storm in Brookhaven MS, 100 miles north of Covington LA and Katrina was still a cat 3. Brookhaven was ravaged as well.

As for your TgPSS, it is safely backed up on multiple harddrives. I even have it with me on the road! ;-) If anyone is in dire need, email me directly at cmm @ drsbrady.com

We will be returning to the area as soon as power is restored and doing our best to help reconstruct homes and lives.

Lam 3.18 "I say, 'Gone is my glory, and my expectation from the LORD.' 19 Remember my affliction and my bitterness, the wormwood and the gall! 20 My soul continually thinks of it and is bowed down within me. 21 But this I call to mind, and therefore I have hope: 22 The steadfast love of the LORD never ceases, his mercies never come to an end; 23 they are new every morning; great is thy faithfulness."

Targuman said...

I have uploaded the NTCS site, with Ed's TgPSS, on my personal site. I *think* it is up to date: http://www.drsbrady.com/ntcs/